Thursday, October 7, 2010

Israel Camps in Moab

A search of Numbers 22:1-21 (KJV):

The children of Israel journeyed on in the wilderness setting up camp 'in the plains of Moab on this side Jordan by Jericho' (22:1). Now, the Moabites of the land were distressed because of all the children of Israel in their land (22:3). The Moabites' King Balak had seen what Israel had done to the Amorites; therefore, he sought help from Balaam, Beor's son, who lived in Pethor "...by the river of the land of the children of his people" (22:2,5).

King Balak knew of Balaam's power to bless and to curse others, so he requested, through the elders of Moab and Midian, for Balaam to curse the children of Israel so that perhaps he could drive them out of the land (22:6,7). Balaam was a man of God who had the elders to lodge with him while he waited for word from God about what to do (22:8). "And God came unto Balaam, and said, What men are these with thee" (22:9)? Balaam explained Balak's request through the elder messengers (22:10,11). "And God said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed" (22:12).

Morning came with Balaam telling the 'princes of Balak' to return to their land that God refused to let him go with them (22:13). "And the princes of Moab rose up, and they went unto Balak, and said, Balaam refuseth to come with us"(22:14).

"And Balak sent yet again princes, more, and more honourable than they. And they came to Balaam, and said to him, Thus saith Balak the son of Zippor, Let nothing, I pray thee, hinder thee from coming unto me: For I will promote thee unto very great honour, and I will do whatsoever thou sayest unto me: come therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people" (22:15-17).

Balaam then replied, "If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the Lord my God, to do less or more" (22:18). Balaam exemplified a true man of God who did not place worldly riches above the Word of God.

Continuing to wait upon the Lord, Balaam said, "Now therefore, I pray you, tarry ye also here this night, that I may know that the Lord will say unto me more. And God came unto Balaam at night, and said unto him, If the men come to call thee, rise up, and go with them; but yet the word which I shall say unto thee, that shalt thou do. And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab" (22:19-21).

God's Hand in the Matter: Clearly Balaam waited for God before he acted. In waiting for God's hand in the matter, Balaam discovered the children of Israel were blessed. We learned that Balaam would not do more or less than the Word of God! God's hand was with Balaam! God's hand was with Israel!

No comments:

Post a Comment